Blake seeks to provide the Golden String which can lead us through the labyrinth of our experience or his own poetry.

Thursday, December 21, 2023

FINAL YEARS

 In the year 1824 Blake had finished his engravings for the Illustrations of the Book of Job. John Linnell had initiated the project of Blake creating engravings from the Job watercolors which were made years previously for Thomas Butts. Desiring to continue to encourage Blake's creative activities with monetary support, Linnell suggested that Blake illustrate Dante's Divine Comedy for him. Although Blake had severe disagreements with Dante's theology, he accepted Linnell's arrangement. His Dante illustrations absorbed Blake's attention and energies until the end of his life in 1827.

For the Divine Comedy there were 102 watercolor illustrations produced by Blake. In addition he engraved 6 plates; a remarkable accomplishment since he was in poor health and nearing death. 

Blake followed Dante by painting and engraving a scene of the punishment of a thief named Agnello. The retribution was devised to fit the crime. The thief had stolen from him his own separate body by the six footed serpent.

National Gallery Victoria
Blake's Illustrations to Divine Comedy
Watercolor
The Six-Footed Serpent Attacking Agnello dei Brunelleschi 

National Gallery Victoria
Blake's Illustrations to Divine Comedy
Engraving
The Six-Footed Serpent Attacking Agnello dei Brunelleschi 

49  "As I kept my eyes fixed upon those sinners,
a serpent with six feet springs out against
one of the three, and clutches him completely.

It gripped his belly with its middle feet,
and with its forefeet grappled his two arms;
and then it sank its teeth in both his cheeks;

it stretched its rear feet out along his thighs
and ran its tail along between the two,
then straightened it again behind his loins.

No ivy ever gripped a tree so fast
as when that horrifying monster clasped
and intertwined the other’s limbs with its.

Then just as if their substance were warm wax,
they stuck together and they mixed their colors,
so neither seemed what he had been before;

just as, when paper’s kindled, where it still
has not caught flame in full, its color’s dark
though not yet black, while white is dying off.

The other two souls stared, and each one cried:
“Ah me, Agnello, how you change! Just see,
you are already neither two nor one!”

Then two heads were already joined in one,
when in one face where two had been dissolved,
two intermingled shapes appeared to us."


Letters, (E 773)
"[To] Mr Linnell, 6 Cirencester Place, Fitzroy Square 7 June 1825 Dear Sir I return you thanks for The Two Pounds you now send me As to Sr T. Lawrence I have not heard from him as yet. & hope that he has a good opinion of my willingness to appear grateful tho not able on account of this abominable Ague or whatever it is
I am in Bed & at Work
my health I cannot speak of for if it was not for Cold weather I think I should soon get about again. Great Men die equally with the little. I am sorry for L.d L.d he is a man of very singular abilities as also for the Dean of Canterbury but perhaps & I verily believe it Every Death is an improvement of the State of the Departed. I can draw as well a Bed as Up & perhaps better but I cannot Engrave I am going on with Dante & please myself. I am dear Sir yours Sincerely WILLIAM BLAKE"

Letters, (E 778)
"To John Linnell Esqre, N 6 Cirencester Place, Fitzroy Square [Postmark: 2 July 1826] My dearest Friend This sudden cold weather has cut up all my hopes by the roots. Everyone who knows of our intended flight into your delightful Country concur in saying: "Do not Venture till summer appears again". I also feel Myself weaker than I was aware, being not able as yet to sit up longer than six hours at a time. & also feel the Cold too much to dare venture beyond my present precincts. My heartiest Thanks for your care in my accomodation & the trouble you will yet have with me. But I get better & stronger every day, tho weaker in muscle & bone than I supposed. As to pleasantness of Prospect it is All pleasant Prospect at North End. Mrs Hurd's I should like as well as any--But think of the Expense & how it may be spared & never mind appearances I intend to bring with me besides our necessary change of apparel Only My Book of Drawings from Dante & one Plate shut up in the Book. All will go very well in the Coach. which at present would be a rumble I fear I could not go thro. So that I conclude another Week must pass before I dare Venture upon what I ardently desire--the seeing you with your happy Family once again & that for a longer Period than I had ever hoped in my health full hours I am dear Sir Yours most gratefully 

WILLIAM BLAKE" 

No comments:

Post a Comment