Blake seeks to provide the Golden String which can lead us through the labyrinth of our experience or his own poetry.

Thursday, January 16, 2020

NEW BORN

Blake was concerned that mankind abdicates his power to be in charge of the exercise of his most precious gifts. He is given a body to live in time and space and gain experience. He is given emotions to form bonds of trust and friendship with humanity. He is given an intellect through which he may develop understanding of himself and his natural world. He is given his intuitive imagination through which he finds his connection with the Eternal World beyond and within himself.

There is no cause for despair if man refuses to be deceived by what appears to be but is not. The shadows projected upon the wall of the cave of our minds may appear to be real. But when that of real substance becomes visible, the shadowy illusions are seen for what they are.

First Corinthians 13
[9] For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
[10] But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.


Songs Of Experience, Plate 54,  (E 31)
"The Voice of the Ancient Bard. 

Youth of delight come hither:
And see the opening morn,
Image of truth new born.
Doubt is fled & clouds of reason.
Dark disputes & artful teazing.
Folly is an endless maze,
Tangled roots perplex her ways,

How many have fallen there!
They stumble all night over bones of the dead,
And feel they know not what but care
And wish to lead others, when they should be led."

Four Zoas, Night IX, Page 119,  (E 389)
"When shall the Man of future times become as in days of old 
O weary life why sit I here & give up all my powers
To indolence to the night of death when indolence & mourning
Sit hovring over my dark threshold. tho I arise look out
And scorn the war within my members yet my heart is weak
And my head faint Yet will I look again unto the morning 
Whence is this sound of rage of Men drinking each others blood
Drunk with the smoking gore & red but not with nourishing wine

The Eternal Man sat on the Rocks & cried with awful voice"
Yale Center for British Art
Jerusalem
Plate 78 
Four Zoas, Night  VII, Page 86, (E 368)
"Los furious answerd. Spectre horrible thy words astound my Ear
With irresistible conviction I feel I am not one of those 
Who when convincd can still persist. tho furious.controllable
By Reasons power. Even I already feel a World within
Opening its gates & in it all the real substances
Of which these in the outward World are shadows which pass away
Come then into my Bosom & in thy shadowy arms bring with thee   
My lovely Enitharmon. I will quell my fury & teach
Peace to the Soul of dark revenge & repentance to Cruelty

So spoke Los & Embracing Enitharmon & the Spectre
Clouds would have folded round in Extacy & Love uniting"
.

No comments:

Post a Comment