Blake seeks to provide the Golden String which can lead us through the labyrinth of our experience or his own poetry.

Thursday, December 20, 2018

FORGIVING 3

Philadelphia Museum of Art
Tempera on Copper
Nativity
Luke 1 
[46] And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, 
[47] And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour. 
[48] For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. 
[49] For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name. 
[50] And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation. 
[51] He hath shewed strength with his arm; he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts. [52] He hath put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted them of low degree. 
[53] He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away. 
[54] He hath holpen his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy; 
[55] As he spake to our fathers, to Abraham, and to his seed for ever. 

Jerusalem, Plate 61, (E 212)
"Then Mary burst forth into a Song! she flowed like a River of
Many Streams in the arms of Joseph & gave forth her tears of joy
Like many waters, and Emanating into gardens & palaces upon
Euphrates & to forests & floods & animals wild & tame from
Gihon to Hiddekel, & to corn fields & villages & inhabitants
Upon Pison & Arnon & Jordan. And I heard the voice among
The Reapers Saying, Am I Jerusalem the lost Adulteress? or am I
Babylon come up to Jerusalem? And another voice answerd Saying   

Does the voice of my Lord call me again? am I pure thro his Mercy
And Pity. Am I become lovely as a Virgin in his sight who am
Indeed a Harlot drunken with the Sacrifice of Idols does he
Call her pure as he did in the days of her Infancy when She
Was cast out to the loathing of her person. The Chaldean took
Me from my Cradle. The Amalekite stole me away upon his Camels
Before I had ever beheld with love the Face of Jehovah; or known 
That there was a God of Mercy: O Mercy O Divine Humanity!
O Forgiveness & Pity & Compassion! If I were Pure I should never
Have known Thee; If I were Unpolluted I should never have        
Glorified thy Holiness, or rejoiced in thy great Salvation."
A burden was lifted from Mary when she knew that she and Joseph were both recipients of God's grace of forgiveness as were God's people Israel. Mary's response was one of awareness and gratitude. She knew that God's mercy becomes recognizable to those who are most desperate. It was because she was polluted that she knew in her total being the God offered 'Forgiveness & Pity & Compassion.'

The individual Mary has assumed the role of archetype. She becomes Blake's character Jerusalem. She becomes the Savior. She becomes all who follow the path of suffering to arrive at a glorious treasure to share with humanity. 
 

MORE TO FOLLOW



No comments:

Post a Comment