Blake seeks to provide the Golden String which can lead us through the labyrinth of our experience or his own poetry.

Saturday, October 28, 2023

CATHERINE BLAKE

 

Fitzwilliam Museum
Catherine, wife of William Blake, seated by the fire 
By George Cumberland
Bequeathed (1985) by Keynes, Geoffrey

I was surprised to find this portrait of Catherine Blake by George Cumberland in the Collection of the Fitzwilliam Museum. The relationship between William Blake and George Cumberland comes to us through the letters which Blake wrote to Cumberland. The first, which was written Dec 6 1795, gave instruction on waxing a plate for a process which was familiar to both men.

Blake's final letter to Cumberland was dated April 12 1827. The two men were mutually supportive and as young men had shared experience. They were drawn apart when Cumberland inherited money and Blake struggled to make a living. However their art continued to link them over the years. The group of young supporters of the ageing Blake, who were known as the Shoreham Ancients, were brought together by Cumberland's son who introduced Linnell to Blake.

Letters, (E 699)

"G Cumberland Esqr, Bishopsgate
near Egham, Surrey

Lambeth, 6 Decembr 1795 [Postmark: 10 December]
Dear Sir
     I congratulate you not on any achievement. because I
know. that the Genius that produces. these Designs can execute
them in any manner. notwithstanding the pretended Philosophy
which teaches that Execution is the power of One & Invention of
Another--Locke says it is the same faculty that
Invents Judges, & I say he who can Invent can Execute.
  
     As to laying on the Wax it is as follows
     Take a cake of Virgins wax <([if it can be found] [if
such be]< I dont know what animal produces it>)> & stroke it
regularly over the surface of a warm Plate. (the Plate must be
warm enough to melt the Wax as it passes over) then immediately
draw a feather over it & you will get all even surface which when
cold will recieve any impression minutely
     Note   The danger is in not covering the Plate All over
     Now You will I hope shew all the family of Antique Borers,
that Peace & Plenty & Domestic Happiness is the Source of Sublime
Art, & prove to the Abstract Philosophers--that Enjoyment & not
Abstinence is the food of Intellect.
Yours sincerely
WILL BLAKE

     Health to Mr Cumberland & Family
     The pressure necessary to roll off the lines is the same
as when you print, or not quite so great.  I have not been able
to send a proof of the bath tho I have done the corrections. my
paper not being in order."

Letters, (E 782

"Mr Linnell, Cirencester Place, Fitzroy Square
15 March 1827
Dear Sir
     This is to thank you for Two Pounds now by me recievd on
account I have recievd a Letter from Mr Cumberland in which he
says he will take one Copy of Job for himself but cannot as yet
find a Customer for one but hopes to do somewhat by perseverance
in his Endeavours he tells me that it is too much Finishd or over
Labourd for his Bristol Friends as they think  I saw Mr Tatham
Senr yesterday he sat with me above an hour & lookd over the
Dante he expressd himself very much pleasd with the designs as
well as the Engravings
   I am getting on with the Engravings & hope soon to get Proofs
of what I am doing
I am dear Sir Yours Sincerely
WILLIAM BLAKE" 
Letters, (E 783)
"George Cumberland Esqre, Culver Street, Bristol
N 3 Fountain Court Strand 
12 April 1827
Dear Cumberland
     I have been very near the Gates of Death & have returned
very weak & an Old Man feeble & tottering, but not in Spirit &
Life not in The Real Man The Imagination which Liveth for Ever.
In that I am stronger & stronger as this Foolish Body decays.  I
thank you for the Pains you have taken with Poor Job.  I know too
well that a great majority of Englishmen are fond of The
Indefinite which they Measure by Newtons Doctrine of the Fluxions
of an Atom.  A Thing that does not Exist.  These are Politicians
& think that Republican Art is Inimical to their Atom.  For a
Line or Lineament is not formed by Chance a Line is a Line in its
Minutest Subdivision[s] Strait or Crooked It is Itself & Not
Intermeasurable with or by any Thing Else Such is Job but since
the French Revolution Englishmen are all Intermeasurable One by
Another Certainly a happy state of Agreement to which I for One
do not Agree.  God keep me from the Divinity of Yes & No too The
Yea Nay Creeping Jesus from supposing Up & Down to be the same
Thing as all Experimentalists must suppose
     You are desirous I know to dispose of some of my Works & to
make <them> Pleasing, I am obliged to you & to all who do so
But having none remaining of all that I had Printed I cannot
Print more Except at a great loss for at the time I printed those
things I had a whole House to range in now I am shut up in a
Corner therefore am forced to ask a Price for them that I
scarce expect to get from a Stranger.  I am now Printing a Set of
the Songs of Innocence & Experience for a Friend at Ten Guineas
which I cannot do under Six Months consistent with my other Work,
so that I have little hope of doing any more of such things. the
Last Work I produced is a Poem Entitled Jerusalem the Emanation
of the Giant Albion, but find that to Print it will Cost my Time
the amount of Twenty Guineas One I have Finishd It contains 100
Plates but it is not likely that I shall get a Customer for it
     As you wish me to send you a list with the Prices of these
things they are as follows

                                    L    s  d
     America                  6.   6. 0
     Europe                    6.   6. 0
     Visions &c               5.   5. 0
     Thel                        3.   3. 0
     Songs of Inn. & Exp.  10.  10. 0
     Urizen                     6.   6. 0

     The Little Card I will do as soon as Possible but when you
Consider that I have been reduced to a Skeleton from which I am
slowly recovering you will I hope have Patience with me.
     Flaxman is Gone & we must All soon follow every one to his
Own Eternal House Leaving the Delusive Goddess Nature & her Laws
to get into Freedom from all Law of the Members into The Mind in
which every one is King & Priest in his own House God Send it so
on Earth as it is in Heaven
I am Dear Sir Yours Affectionately
WILLIAM BLAKE "
Fitzwilliam Museum
Engraved Card
1827

Blake died August 12, 1827 at 3 Fountain Court

Blake's Disciples

No comments:

Post a Comment